Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Polishing my Yellow Bricks, Again.


I let this blog go last year. It had been a safe haven for quite sometime; writing it became almost a social event. Then one morning, after a long wintery run, I didn’t need to write. Words to paper had lost their meaning. The freedom & joy I felt could no longer be expressed in Times New Roman.
I moved on. 

Today I am back.
Neither because I need to, nor because I believe any of you are still waiting for me to post. It’s been a while; I hope we’ve all moved along. Yet the recent tragedies in Newtown, CT have reminded me that my Dylan, my friends, my little tri-ing life are important to me, and maybe also for those I don’t speak to everyday. Maybe u want to know how I’ve been as I often want to know about u.  How have u been my friend? Where are u now?  Did u get that PR?  How was that race?

Facebook schmacebook. I haven’t had the pep in me since Friday. I love everyone there, and I'm usually happy to high 5 the world but since Friday I’m too tied up hugging everyone I see. I’ve almost suffocated Dylan a few times.

I’ve looked for peace over the past days.  Did yoga yesterday. Although yoga gives me much, it’s never given me a moment of Zen…. It does do a darn good job on my core & hammies, but I’m not yogi enough to find pleasure in any pretzel position. I gave my Coach a copy of my favorite yoga DVD for Christmas one year; I needed him to understand my tolerance level for pain.  :) Yoga this week gave me sore abs, it didn’t center me one bit.

I ran on Sunday. Normally a refuge for me, as many of u know. There is not much that cannot be solved in the long run; but how do u explain the unexplainable? Through blistering cold winds and slick trails, my BFF running partner extraordinaire let me cry, made me giggle, held me up (literally at some points, it was icy) and hugged me tightly. Coach mandated a short, ez 1hr20min, yet despite the cold, I’d have needed another 4hrs out there to truly feel numb. And although I am heartbroken, I am still wise and far from seeing the advantage of overtraining. 

So I sit here, 5am with my favorite coffee, hot & comforting before I get on the bike trainer. I revive a dead blog only to say "HI". I have no solutions, in heartbreak, in life or in triathlon – I simply continue to push my boundaries and report back all the tidbits of awesome I may find in my own personal outer limits. Although I have nothing awesome to share today, I can only use this post as a means to remind u all, or perhaps just remind myself, that we are here together. Swimming, biking, running, living, cooking, getting faster, loving, laughing, drinking good coffee, raising children, and raising each other at times… if u need a friend, today or ever, I am here. Sometimes, the simple reminder that we are not alone on this journey brings the shine back to our yellow bricks.

Peace & love, pls train safe,

4 comments:

  1. Thanks Ju, great to read your words again. Wish I could find the words to help Fridays events. It was felt on this side of The Pond too. My hope is that the sacrifice of the victims in Newtown, brings about the change that the US needs.

    Fridays horror happened the day after my day of days with little Melody. As the horror unfolded, I thought of you and Dylan. Hope you refind your pep and the numbness subsides enough to continue inspiring your friends.

    Keep Tri-ing, and keep hugging those that matter to you. Lots of Love from UK heading your way. x

    ReplyDelete