Saturday, October 29, 2011

Great Minds Think Alike

A new season has started, and with Fall colours and morning darkness comes a few changes to my training routine. The dreadmill is plugged in; so far I’ve managed a few short runs on it. I’m building up, progressively, this way the boredom comes in smaller doses so I can get accustomed to it (so that I don’t fall back asleep- it’s early & dark!).

I’ve started working with a new coach- who will be testing me over the next 2 weeks. Not to see if I’m motivated enough, but to see if I can follow direction when direction tells me to only train a few good quality hours a week. For this endurance junkie, scaling back this offseason will be the greatest challenge.

Somebody stop me!!!!!!

Biggest change of all, and one that is certainly more entertaining than what I’m doing- is Dylan. Dylan has joined the U7 tri team, and it’s been both very exciting for him, and very challenging. This is where my little man finds out the difference between liking the idea of something, and being committed to it.

Just 2 days ago, out of nowhere, another Dylanism, “Mommy, if I were a bird I’d fly over the clouds. Even if the other birds told me I couldn’t.” In one sentence my baby showed more will than most adults. I smiled, big smile, at his determination, strength, and sense of curiosity. I prayed he keeps on, not losing those qualities as he grows up.

Then, his first swim training: 6:30pm Thursday. He was the only U7 who showed. The lanes taken up by much more experienced, faster, lean & able older kids. My baby, standing in his new goggles and new TYR race suit, faced intimidation beyond anything he had ever felt before.
I wanted to tell him, “Be a bird!” But I needed him to be a bird on his own. Because it doesn’t matter if you are 5, or 55, if you back down, you’ve quit. And quit is a bad word in this house.
He put on his new fins, grabbed a kick board, and slowly (and zig zaggy) made his way to the other side of the pool. 25m, done. Or as Dylan would say, he went over the deep part. With each 25m came a new sense of accomplishment. With each instruction to use swim gear, came a smile as big as Christmas morning. He’s been walking around the house for a week with his swim bag, waiting to play with it all. The time had come, and true Dylan, he found the smallest joys in what could’ve been a lingering disaster.

45min later, showered and ready for bed, he simply told me that swimming was not as exciting as he thought it would be, but he’d go back next week.
And once again that night, I went to bed in awe, and in thanks, of my tri-kid.

Being a mother is not the biggest challenge; it's certainly tough work, I'm not knocking it. But having survived a 15 month battle with PPD, a fight I almost lost, I can assure you that learning to be a good parent is much harder than just being a parent. There are days I do great, days I mess up, there are moments I must ask Dylan for forgiveness, there are times when I question every word I say. I over analyze because I'm terrified of falling back... Striving everyday to do better with the 2nd chance I have been given is a goal I myself, can never quit. Watching him fly- watching him soar, with fear in his eyes but a goal in his heart- inspires me and reminds me that we are all doing the same....We line up on race day, uncertain but confident, and we chase down the goal because we made a commitment to it. We are trying to fly higher, be better, do more with the chance we've been given. As I stare into the darkness outside my window this AM, I high 5 you all, and cheer you on as you keep going, through the early morning darkness and boredom of the indoor trainer- because, just as Dylan's learning them for the 1st time, this is also our time to relearn the many valuable lessons this awesome sport has to offer.

Train safe- You are all awesome!!!!

4 comments:

  1. Jules and Dylan,

    I love the new blog Jules, as ever your words give a message that many, like me, will hear. I am inspired by your story as you know and I value our friendship so much.
    Not being of a religious leaning, I can't say that I am blessed for having your friendship but I know in my heart I am extremely fortunate to know you.
    We have had chats about 'WHY's, I believe in mine and the greatest realisation this week is that I had more 'WHY's' than I thought. Both you and Dylan are included in my list, I hope it goes a small way to repay you for the kindness you have shown me this year.

    As for Dylan, well there are no words to express my admiration for such a young person, my sons aged 18 & 14 could learn a lot from him. Love his innocent wisdom and will always be one of his biggest supporters!

    Enjoy the new season both of you, embrace the experiences and the time you devote to the people and the things you love.

    Ian :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, you are a wonderful & truly appreciated friend.... our life is a whole lot better since you came into it. There are a few outstanding people in this world that I have never yet met- but I know they are as close as any friend could ever be; I am so lucky that you are one of them, not just for me, but for Dylan as well.
    WHY's are powerful, only when realized- so I am thrilled you found a few more to believe in. You do greatness already, everyday, and sharing our adventures and our WHY's with you make them so much more thrilling!!!

    (Who knew the TdF could be even more entertaining that it already was!) I owe you a drink, mate... in fact I owe you a few! Cheers, and thank you for being all that you are to us!

    Ju.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ut聊天室視訊-真人裸聊秀場
    live173影音視訊live秀-台灣uu視頻聊天室
    live173影音live秀-免費視訊-uu視頻聊天室
    live173視訊影音live秀-夫妻開放聊天室
    173視訊聊天-同城午夜聊天室
    173視訊-開放性聊天室
    視訊交友-福利聊天室
    漾美眉視訊交友-美女福利視頻秀
    免費視訊聊天室-約炮交友直播間平台
    影音視訊聊天室-美女主播福利視頻
    色聊網寂寞同城e夜情交友網三色午夜秀聊天室成人性愛小說網址國外免費視訊交友
    台灣甜心聊天室愛聊視頻聊天室彩虹視頻聊天室下載夜夜擼 成人小說論壇免費視訊軟體
    寂寞男生的聊天室彩虹視頻社區聊天室女主播裸聊直播室蕾絲超短裙美女熱舞173免費視訊美女
    寂寞同城聊天室破解版彩虹視頻聊天室10元裸聊直播久久午夜視頻聊天社區免費視訊交友聊天
    夜裡寂寞視頻聊天室秀色直播下載情人寂寞交友聊天室性感校服超短裙美女live 173免費視訊

    ReplyDelete